Have you ever tried to switch from chemical deodorant to a more natural and safer form of odour control? I have and before I heard of the armpit detox the results disappointed me.
I was torn between the use of harmful products that left me feeling fresh compared to natural products that weren’t reliable and I put the whole idea on hold.
Why ditch deodorant?
If you are like me, you have always relied on chemical anti-perspirant deodorant to keep you fresh throughout your active daily life. You have heard that they are harmful but you can’t bear the thought of smelling bad.
Is the risk of adding harmful chemicals to your glands worth avoiding the embarrassment of people smelling your odour? You decide for yourself:
Most anti-perspirant deodorants contain some or all of the following:
- Parabens (methyl, propyl, butyl, benzyl, ethyl) – linked to breast cancer. It disrupts the natural hormone balance and imitates estrogen which plays a role in breast cancer development.
- Silica – It irritates the skin and often contains crystalline quartz which is known to cause cancer.
- Propylene Glycol – Highly toxic chemical that can cause liver and kidney failure, skin irritation, neurological symptoms, respiratory issues and is not safe for pregnant women.
- Aluminum compounds (Aluminum chloralhydrate, aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly) – This is the part of the deodorant that inhibits the skin to sweat. It is absorbed by the skin into the bloodstream and is a dangerous carcinogen.
- Triclosan – This is added to kill odour-causing bacteria, however it also illuminates the healthy bacteria on the skin which can lead to skin irritation and inflammation. It also causes cancer when the skin is exposed to it for prolonged periods.
When you look at all that it is scary to think that we apply that to our underarms on a daily basis and no wonder the risk of cancer is so high.
Why an Armpit Detox?
I was once given an alum stone. It is a block of potassium alum that you wet under water and apply to your underarms instead of using deodorant. It is naturally antibacterial so keeps odor away and is not harmful to the body or the skin. I loved the idea of this and was excited to be able to ditch the chemicals. However, after using it consistently I became disappointed at times when I was horrified by the smell coming off of myself.
I live a very active lifestyle and do not want my aroma to be compromised for doing this. I slowly started reaching for my chemical deodorant again because I did not want to be left anxious during the day.
This was until I discovered that a transition into chemical-free deodorant is necessary. I discovered a new use for Bentonite clay.
Bentonite clay is a clay that is derived from dried volcanic ash.
When Bentonite clay is mixed with water is gains an electrical charge which transforms it into a sponge for drawing out and absorbing toxins. The strong negative charge of the clay binds the positive charge of toxins and draws them out of the body. It also releases its own minerals for the body to consume while providing a flood of oxygen to the cells simultaneously.
Using a Bentonite clay mask on your under arms will draw out the toxins left behind from using chemical deodorants and can restore your body’s natural ability to smell great.
How to Detox:
- Place the Bentonite clay in a wooden or plastic container. Very important that the clay does not touch metal!!
- Mix in the apple cider vinegar with a wooden or plastic spoon until a smooth paste is formed.
- Add a few drops of water if needed to get the correct consistency
- Apply generously with a wooden or plastic applicator to the under arm area.
- Leave the clay on for 10-20 minutes. Remove if any burning sensation occurs. (This is very rare and indicates an impure clay)
- Remove with a warm wet cloth or in the shower.
- Repeat 1-2 times per week until you are happy with results, You should notice an improvement from the first application.
- Never use chemical deodorant again! 😀
Once you have done the armpit detox a few times you will want to find a natural solution that won’t harm your body.
I can highly recommend an alum block. You only have to buy it once and it will last a lifetime. It also works wonders as a natural after shave as it soothes the skin and keeps any irritation away. Make sure to wash it in clean water after each use.
There are many natural deodorants available. Always check the labels to make sure they are truly harmless. Do not purchase anything containing the chemicals I mentioned in the beginning of this post. The best products will have very few ingredients and you will notice that all the contents are natural. A few of the top options you can try out are:
- Primal Pit Paste All Natural Coconut Lime Deodorant
- Bali Secrets Natural Deodorant
- Organic Island Deodorant
You may even find that deodorant is completely obsolete as your body stays fresh all on its on after the detox. How empowering is that?! Let me know how this has changed your life after trying it yourself.
**Links are based on USA retailers. If you are in South Africa (as I am) please comment if you need recommendations on where to buy anything locally.